(For the overall course timetable – arrival and departure times, etc – please see the Domestic Arrangements page.)
All course members receive a full timetable for their chosen group. Except for Friday, the general layout of the timetable is as follows. Please note that there are some minor variations from group-to-group around break times
- Breakfast 08.00
- First session 09.00-10.30
- Coffee 10.30-11.10
- Second session 11.10-12.40
- Lunch 13.00
- Optional session or free time 14.15
- Tea 15.30
- Third session 16.00-17.30
- Dinner 18.15
- Evening Events 19.45
One of the exceptional strengths of the NLMS Summer School is the high ratio of tutors to members. Typically, one of the daily sessions is a “sectional” rehearsal:
- Each string section in both orchestras, from first violins through to double basses, has a daily session with the professional who leads that section
- Each section in the choir, from sopranos to basses, has a dedicated tutor
- Wind and brass each have an overall coach who is present all week, with specialist instrument tutors for each instrument visiting for three days during the course.
Various one-off activities are organised in the optional and evening sessions, giving opportunities to take part in something a little different. These are the groups which take place and are open to any member of the summer school.
- Open Choir and other choral sessions
- Open String Orchestra
- Open Wind Band
- Open Light Music Orchestra
- Members’ Concert: preferably for ensembles formed during the week
On Friday, many of the ensembles give their final concerts, and on the same evening there is a final dinner and evening entertainment often involving member participation.
The above activities and range of options and opportunities, together with the unmissable staff concert, are amongst the highlights of the week for many members.